- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for the work surface
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 cup (8 ounces/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
1. Measure the flour, sugar, salt, and lemon and orange zests into the work bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade. Pulse briefly to combine the ingredients. Distribute the butter around the bowl and pulse until the mixture is crumbly. Add the egg and egg yolks and process until the dough just begins to come together.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and gather it together. Knead it briefly and shape it into a disk. Wrap tightly in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until well chilled.
3. Sprinkle a little flour onto the work surface and roll the disk out to 1/4-inch thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutter shape to cut out cookies. Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet and chill for 30 minutes. Heat the oven to 350 degrees while the cookies are chilling.
4. Bake the cookies in batches for 10 to 15 minutes, until they are set and the edges are very lightly browned. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and let cool 5 minutes. With an angled spatula, remove the cookies from the baking sheet and let them cool completely on the rack.
5. Spread a little Nutella on the bottom of one cookie. Set another cookie on top of the Nutella filling and press the cookies together lightly. Fill and sandwich together the remaining cookies. Arrange them on a decorative plate and serve.