- 3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 New York Strip boneless steak, 1-inch thick
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 fresh baguette, sliced in half horizontally (or your favorite sandwich rolls)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup baby arugula, washed and spun dry
- 3 ounces Point Reyes Bay Blue, crumbled
- To caramelize onions, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and a pinch of salt to pan and stir to combine. Cook onions uncovered, stirring occasionally, until they begin to brown and soften. Cover pan and continue to cook until onions are very soft and deep golden brown, about 20 minutes, still stirring occasionally. Set aside.
- Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in skillet over high heat until hot, but not smoking. Sear steak for one minute on each side. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking the steak for 7-10 more minutes, turning halfway through, until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan and let steak rest on a plate covered with foil for an additional 10 minutes. Slice steak into strips against the grain.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread the top and bottom halves of baguette evenly with mayonnaise. Spread caramelized onions on bottom half of baguette, top with sliced steak arugula, and Point Reyes Bay Blue. Slice and serve.