Recipe and image source: Stilton Cheese
- 2 oz butter
- 1 onion, skinned and finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, cleaned and sliced
- 2 oz flour
- 2 fl oz dry white wine
- 30 fl oz low salt chicken stock
- 12 fl oz milk
- 3 oz. Stilton Cheese, crumbled
- 3 oz English Cheddar Cheese, grated
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 fl oz double cream
- croutons to garnish
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add vegetables, and fry gently for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the wine and stock and return to heat. Bring to the boil, stirring continuously until the soup thickens then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and liquidize or press the soup through a sieve. Return to the rinsed out pan. Add the milk and heat gently. Stir in the Stilton, English Cheddar and double cream until melted. Add pepper if required.
- Do not let the soup boil at this stage or it will curdle. Serve garnished with croutons.