- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup raw or turbinado sugar
- 15 dried apricots, cut into small dice
- 1/2 cup apricot nectar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 vanilla bean
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 3 sheets phyllo pastry
- Unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Camembert, rind removed
- 3/4 cup shelled pistachios
- Small pinch cayenne pepper
- Large pinch sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degree F.
2. Bring the water and raw sugar to a boil, then simmer over medium heat. Add the dried apricots and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the apricot nectar, apricot preserves, vanilla bean, and cinnamon. Allow the mixture to simmer for 10 minutes, until reduced. Remove the saucepan from the heat and strain to separate the apricot pieces from the syrup. Discard the vanilla bean.
3. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lightly brush the sheets of Phyllo pastry with unsalted butter. Cut the sheets into 3-inch wide, long strips. Add 1 tablespoon of camembert topped with 1 teaspoon of apricot pieces a few inches from bottom edge of each phyllo strip. Fold the bottom edge of phyllo over the filling so that the bottom edge meets the side edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold the triangle sideways and upward to the end of the strip, like folding a flag. Flip the triangle over to seal. Place the triangles on the baking sheet. Brush lightly with melted butter and bake for 18 minutes.
4. Roughly chop the pistachios, sea salt and cayenne pepper in a food processor. Drizzle pastries with apricot syrup and sprinkle them with spiced, crushed pistachios.