- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 2 anaheim or other mellow peppers, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa verde
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 1- 14 ounce can great northern beans, drained
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
- diced avocado
- shredded cheddar cheese
- Put diced onions, jalapeno, anaheim peppers, celery, and garlic in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Place chicken on top. Sprinkle chicken with cumin, salt, and oregano.
- Pour salsa verde and chicken stock in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 3 hours.
- Remove lid and remove chicken. Using two forks shred the chicken and add back to the slow cooker along with the canned beans and creme fraiche; stir, cover, and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- To serve soup, ladle into large bowls and top with diced tomatoes, fresh cilantro, diced avocado, shredded cheese, and a squeeze of fresh lime.
Original recipe and image source: Mountain Mama Cooks for Vermont Creamery