These bars are soft, moist, and sweetly reminiscent of an oatmeal cookie. A perfect breakfast treat.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces or 12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For Blueberry Honey Jam
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
For the jam:
- Place a small plate in the freezer for testing the jam.
- In a large deep skillet, add blueberries, honey, and lemon juice. Heat and stir until it reaches a rolling boil.
- Boil and stir until it thickens, 10 minutes.
- Add a small spoonful of the jam onto the plate in the freezer and let sit for 30 seconds. Tilt it. If it slides too fast, cook another 1-2 minutes and check again. If it moves slow, it is done. Test every 1-2 minutes and do not overcook. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
For the bars:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line an 8x8 square pan with parchment or grease with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt.
- In another large bowl, beat together the butter, honey, and brown sugar until creamy, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated, about 1 minute (it may look curdled). Gradually beat in the flour mixture.
- Evenly spread no more than half of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Top with cooled blueberry jam. Top with the remaining dough.
- Bake 30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into squares.
Original recipe and image source: National Honey Board