Original recipe and image source: Russ Faulk, Kalamazoo Outdoor Gourmet
- 2 large portabella mushrooms
- Olive oil
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly-ground black pepper
- 8 slices Tuscan bread, 3/4" thick
- 8 ounces Quadrello di Bufala, shredded
- 1 ounce Parmigiano Reggiano, shredded
- Preheat broiler. Remove and discard the portabella stems. Cut the caps into 3/8” thick slices. Brush the slices on both sides with olive oil and season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place mushrooms under the broiler, keeping a close watch on them so they do not burn, turning occasionally until they are well-browned and have reduced to about half of their original size.
- Remove mushrooms from oven, chop and reserve.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread (the outside of each sandwich). Fill the sandwiches with the cheeses and chopped mushrooms. Top off each sandwich with the other slice of Tuscan bread.
- Place sandwiches on preheated frying pan or griddle. Keep covered with a lid during the cooking as much as possible to ensure the cheese gets nice and melty.