- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 2 oz Honey-Herb Aioli*
- 6 grapefruit segments
- 6 lime segments
- 5 oz Shiitake, destemmed
- 5 oz Oyster, torn into smaller pieces
- 4 oz Crimini, sliced
- 7 oz Celeriac, washed and peeled
- 7 oz Turnip, washed and peeled
- 7 oz Jicama, washed and peeled
- 3 purple carrots, washed and peeled
- 3 leaves bibb lettuce, washed and picked
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt
- cracked black pepper
- Using a mandolin, carefully shave root vegetables 1/8" thick.
- In a stainless steel bowl, toss shaved vegetables, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper until combined. Set mixture aside to allow flavors to meld.
- Lay out root vegetables on a 1/2 sheet pans and roast at 375°F in a convection oven until slightly golden brown. Remove sheet pan from the oven and allow to cool.
- Toss mushrooms, olive oil, salt and pepper together in a medium stainless steel bowl.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, sear mushrooms in small batches. Once golden brown remove from sauté pan and reserve for later use. Using the same sauté pan over medium-high heat, sear grapefruit and lime segments until caramelized. Remove and reserve for later use.
- To complete: Slather aioli on each slice of bread. Begin layering 1 slice of bread, vegetables, mushrooms, and bib lettuce. Top with charred citrus segments and last slice of bread.
*To Make Honey-Herb Aioli
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon parsley, minced
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1 pinch cracked black pepper
- Combine yolk, lemon juice, and mustard in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
- While whisking constantly, slowly add oil until mixture becomes emulsified.
- Finish with parsley, honey, salt and pepper.
Original recipe and image source: National Honey Board