Makes 8 "sandwiches"
- One large loaf of Challah or Brioche
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 8 tsp raspberry preserves (seedless if possible)
- 6 ounces Cacow Belle, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup cream of half and half
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter
- Powdered sugar and fresh raspberries (for garnish)
- Slice Challah or Brioche into 16 slices, about 3/4" wide. (Tip: to maximize custard retention, slice bread up to 8 hours before preparing recipe and allow slices to sit out, exposed to air to dry out somewhat)
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese onto each slice of bread, then spread 1 tsp of raspberry preserves on 8 of the slices.
- Pile 1/4-1/3 cup of shredded Cacow Belle on top of jam and top with the remaining slices of bread, cream cheese side down.
- In a large, shallow bowl, combine eggs, cream, vanilla, sugar, and salt and whisk well until combined.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Dip one sandwich into custard mixture for 3 seconds and carefully flip to coat both sides. Gently place sandwich into warm skillet and cook for 3 minutes until golden brown- be careful to not crowd the skillet. Flip sandwich and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until custard is set and cheese is melted.
- Place cooked sandwiches in a warm oven until all sandwiches are cooked. Add 2 tsp of butter to skillet between batches of sandwiches. Just prior to serving top with powdered sugar and fresh raspberries.
Original recipe and image source: Rogue Creamery