Italian Pumpkin Pie
- 2 lb pumpkin
- 3 ½ oz all-purpose flour
- 5 oz amaretti cookies or macaroons
- 3 ½ oz sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons fresh cream
- 1 tablespoon Grappa
- ½ package baking powder
- salt to taste
- butter, to grease
- confectioners sugar to taste
- Cut the pumpkin into fairly large pieces and place on a baking sheet. Bake pumpkin at 300°F for about 40 minutes so that it caramelizes.
- When done, remove the pulp of the pumpkin from the peel. At this point, the pulp will weigh around 1 lb. Place pulp in a bowl and blend or pass it through a sieve to get a soft, smooth mixture.
- Separate the egg whites and egg yolks. Whip the whites using a whisk, either electric or manual, until soft peaks form.
- In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks with the sugar for a couple of minutes until you have a fairly clear mixture.
- Continue whisking while adding, one at a time, the cinnamon, cream, pumpkin puree and the flour divided into two or three parts so that it can be easily incorporated into the mixture.
- Crumble the amaretti cookies and add them to the dough. Mix well and add the yeast and Grappa
- Mix again, then add the whipped egg whites, folding them carefully into the mixture, finishing with a pinch of salt.
- Grease a round pie dish with butter, dust with flour, removing the excess.
- Pour the mixture into the pie pan, level it using a spatula. Bake in a 320°F oven for 45 to 50 minutes.
- When the pie is done, remove it from the oven and let cool for at least an hour. Then remove it from the pan and, if you'd like, dust it with powdered sugar.
Original recipe and image source: Academia Barilla