Makes 4 main course servings, or 6 first course servings
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 lb. homemade tagliatelle or purchased fresh fettuccine
- In a large saucepan over high heat, bring the cream and butter to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 1 minute. Add 6 Tbsp of the cheese and whisk until smooth, about 1 minute more. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper and a generous pinch of nutmeg. (Be judicious with the salt. Parmigiano-Reggiano is salty, so too much added salt with throw this creamy, sweet sauce out of balance.)
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Generously salt the boiling water, add the pasta and cook until al dente (tender but firm to the bite), 1 to 3 minutes, depending on the freshness of the pasta. Drain the pasta well.
- Put the pasta in a warmed large, shallow bowl. Pour on the sauce, sprinkle with 6 Tbsp of the cheese and toss well. Serve immediately. Pass the remaining cheese at the table.
Original recipe and image source: Williams Sonoma