- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- One large free range egg
- 1 Tbsp cold water
- 1 red bell pepper
- 4 large shallots
- 4 large free range eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 6-ounce wedges of Cornish Blue Cheese
- Fresh sage and chives
- oil for frying
- Make pastry: cube the butter and place with all other ingredients in a food processor with a blade attachment and blend until it binds together. Tip out onto a floured board and knead to form a pastry, then place in a bag and chill for 30 minutes.
- After chilling, roll out pastry and line a loose bottom tart tin (12 inches max) and cover with baking parchment and pour in pie weights. Blind bake for 20 minutes at 355 F.
- While baking, finely chop shallots and dice pepper into long thin strips. Place in a frying pan with a little oil, and cook until they just begin to color.
- Carefully take out the tart case when done, and remove the pie weights and parchment. Tip the fried onions and pepper into the tart.
- With a cheese grater, grate one wedge of the Cornish Blue into the tart case. Cut the other wedge into thin triangles and place in a circle within the tart.
- Put the eggs and milk into a bowl and whisk until combined, then carefully pour onto the tart. Sprinkle with chopped sage and chives and bake for 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
Original recipe and image source: Cornish Cheese Company