- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped (you can substitute with leeks)
- 1 Parmigiano Reggiano rind
- 1/2 parsley bunch, stems and leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot. When hot, add the onion, garlic, and fennel. Cook over moderate heat until the vegetables have softened and are beginning to brown. The more carmelized the vegetables are, the deeper the flavor of your broth will be.
- Add 2 quarts of water and the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer, and simmer for 3-4 hours, until the rind has become soft. Strain the broth before use.
Original recipe and image source: Culture magazine