- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup Sauternes
- 12 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- Cubed bread for serving
- Boiled fingerling potatoes, beef tips, cornichons, or pickled vegetables, for serving (optional)
- Vigorously rub the inside of a fondue pot a 2-quart saucepan with garlic; and discard. Add the Sauternes, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir to combine the Stilton and cornstarch. Once the Sauternes has come to a boil, slowly add the Stilton mixture, while whisking constantly. Be sure each addition is completely melted and incorporated before adding more. Once all of the cheese has been added, cook for 1 minute more. Whisk in creme fraiche, and season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and serve immediately with bread, potatoes, beef tips, or pickled vegetables, as desired.