- 1 clove garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider or dry white wine
- 8 ounces Gruyere cheese, grated (3 cups)
- 8 ounces Emmental cheese, grated (3 cups)
- 8 ounces Raclette cheese, grated (3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 1 loaf French bread, cut into one-inch cubes
- Assorted pickled vegetables, such as cornichons, pearl onions, cauliflower, baby carrots, and mushrooms
- Rub inside of a fondue pot with garlic; discard garlic. Pour cider or wine into pot, and place over medium-low heat. When liquid starts to bubble, start adding cheeses by the handful, stirring until melted and combined.
- Whisk together lemon juice and cornstarch in a small bowl until cornstarch dissolves; stir into cheese mixture. Continue stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbling slightly, about five minutes. Season with nutmeg and pepper.
- Transfer fondue pot to the table, and keep warm over the fondue pot warmer. Serve with bread and pickled vegetables.