Makes 2 cups, about 8 servings
- 2 Tbs unsalted butter
- 3Tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup ale or darker beer
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Hot sauce, to taste
- 12 oz sharp cheddar cheese (Collier's or Quebec 8 Year would be good), grated
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Crostini, Pretzels, Crackers, Crudites for serving
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in milk and beer, increase heat to medium-high and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add mustard, Worcestershire, and hot sauce and cook, whisking occasionally, until the mixture begins to thicken, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Working in batches, add the cheese in large handfuls, whisking until each batch has completely melted before adding more.
- Season with salt and pepper, and serve immediately.
Original recipe and image source: Williams-Sonoma