- 5 baking potatoes
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces creme fraiche
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup scallions, chopped
- In the oven, bake the potatoes at 400F for one hour, then peel and mash coarsely.
- In a large casserole, cook the bacon and onions over medium heat until onions are transluent.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onions and bacon and stir until the mixture starts to bubble. Lower the heat and gradually whisk in the milk until blended.
- Turn heat back to medium and allow the milk mixture to thicken and come to a slow boil while stirring.
- Add mashed potatoes and cheese, stirring until the cheese is melted. Lower the heat and add the creme fraiche, black pepper, and half of the scallions. Cook over low heat for about 10 minutes, until hot (do not boil).
- Place soup in 8 bowls and garnish with remaining scallions and more grated cheese if you like.
Original recipe and image source: Vermont Creamery